“The academy challenged both my physical game and my mental game. With the opportunity to play men’s basketball it was important to understand what preparation was needed to be able to compete. The academy ensured I had individual goals whilst assisting me with my education. Today I am grateful for everything the academy staff has taught me. Their extensive knowledge of the game of basketball is the reason I keep coming back to workout. More importantly, they taught me how to be responsible for myself as well as others.”
– Kalil Irving, former academy player and now a professional basketball players who has played in the BBL and in Italy.
- The Basketball Academy programme is one of the leading academies in England with its aim to support players in progressing to the highest levels. Its philosophy develops mental toughness, high levels of commitment and a relentless desire to improve the skills of the game.
- Elite level coaching supports the players in their development with multiple full time elite coaches at each academy.
- A professional support programme provides strength and conditioning, physiotherapy and sport science guidance.
- Canterbury is linked to one of the top grammar schools in kent and on of the best in the country for science. This means across the comprehensive and grammar school we have a wide range of academic options available.
A typical week at the academy will include:
- Daily training sessions as a team
- 3-5 individual or small group sessions, these will be basketball or strength & conditioning.
- Video session
- Physio session if needed including injury prevention
- EABL Game National league game
- An AASE session
Canterbury Academy has been selected by England Basketball to be an England Development Program (EDP) school, one of only 15 in the country. As an EDP we offer the Diploma in Sporting Excellence (DiSE) qualification, tailored to basketball. This is designed to meet the needs of players aged 16-19 that wish to continue their sporting career and gain appropriately levelled educational qualifications at the same time. The EDP is not a qualification for simply playing the game; this is a two-year programme whereby players receive additional support and guidance for their basketball development and education. The EDP is aimed at athletes who have the realistic potential to achieve excellence and are seeking to perform at the highest level as their main career goal.
More information you can visit the BE website, here.